birds eye view

Follow ontheten on Twitter

Monday, November 19, 2007

7 things i like about you


image credit: delftboy

today i promise myself to have some fun. i am teaching two classes in the morning and then have a meeting with the hospitals and insitutions committee of an organization to assist with strengthening our ourtreach. there is much to do.

i had an interesting correspondence with a friend yesterday. he was telling me that i am cryptic in my expressions and my writing. he also said that i assume much from my reader about what is perceived about "where" i am at. i had no idea i was so vague. i don't have that intention, but it is probably true. i don't know that i can change, but i will try to communicate a bit better. i know i am always multi-tasking and sometimes when i get to actually typing, my thoughts have jumped on ahead to other things.

mtn angel at eclectic recovery tagged me today and i am thankful for it. but i am going to tweak it a bit (LOL) and call it 7 random things i've learned in recovery. i am also going to tag 7 very wonderful bloggers that are on a similar journey. i believe people in recovery all learn from each other and so perhaps this will be a chance for some of the online recovery community to learn one or two more things about each other and themselves.

1. Link to the person’s blog who tagged you.

2. Post these rules on your blog.

3. List seven random and/or weird facts you have learned in recovery.

4. Tag seven random [?] people at the end of your post and include links to their blogs.

5. Let each person know that they have been tagged by posting a comment on their blog.


here are truths i have stumbled upon....



1) i am not always the first thing on other peoples' minds. this came as a huge revelation, and still sometimes surprises me. i am always the first thing on my own mind. maybe i'll have to get back to you on this one.

2) just because recovery worked a certain way for me has absolutely no bearing on someone else's recovery. i am right-brained and process and learn information in a certain way. other people i have met, process that same information completely differently and still recover. and when i hear another addict spout words like this is the only thing that works, i am reminded that there is not a singular truth.

3) secrets really do make me sick. but speaking gossip has nothing to do with secrets. secrets are guilt that is bottled up. gossip is guilt that is projected onto someone else.

4) not getting high is not the hardest thing i've done. feeling the feelings i am having that moment without changing them is the hardest thing i've done.

5) some mornings i still wake up and cannot remember where i left my shit- wallet, keys, etc.. at least i wake up though. no more coming to.

6) when i stopped running away from who i was, i began to grow into who i am.

7) just being able to look at myself in the mirror without groaning or wincing is enough to stay sober for me. moving past those initial god-awful thoughts i had of myself has been like jean-baptiste being released from prison.

and here are the random 7 tags

1- wayward son

2- the last chance texaco

3- prison's a bitch

4- my journey with aids

5- jeremiah

6- thingmebob

7- brian finch


7 comments:

Steve said...

Very good MeMe. I think most of us probably struggle with the first one! Interesting perspective on gossip. I've always seen it as projection also. And I wholeheartedly believe that facing the feelings that substances hide; is way harder than quitting the abuse. Happy Monday.

Anonymous said...

I will do this MeMe tomorrow, I had a post for today pre-written yesterday while it was still in my head.

I will now go and read what you have written and see what the questions are along with my morning coffee.

Angela said...

Gossip is guilt that's projected onto someone else. Brilliant. Thanks for participating and I love the way you changed it to fit you!

Anonymous said...

Hey!

I noticed that over the last several months you blogged often about Cool
Globes: Hot Ideas for a Cooler Planet - the innovative public art project in
Chicago that represented simple solutions to global warming. Starting
Monday, November 26 for one week only, select large and mini-globes from the
Cool Globes exhibit in Chicago will be auctioned to raise funds for the
Chicago Conservation Corp Clubs, which provide environmental education
opportunities for Chicago’s youth.

Among the globes to be auctioned are mini-globes from:

* Bill Clinton
* Robert Redford
* David Schwimmer
* Tobey Maguire
* Eva Mendes
* Rob Corddry
* Jenny Lennon and the cast of “Reno 911”
* Magic Johnson
* Dave Winfield
* Chicago Bear Tommie Harris
* Tony Bennett
* BB King
* Heather Headley
* The Gypsy Kings

The auction will take place online, hosted by eBay, so that even those who
don't live in or around Chicago can make an offer. You can view globes or
place a bid in the online auction at www.coolglobes.org.

I thought your blog readers might be interested in learning more. Please
feel free to reply with any questions and I hope you'll consider writing
about this. Thanks!

- Kelly

P.S. Feel free to delete this comment if you're not interested in keeping it posted.

Mark Olmsted said...

I think Gossip is what you call what people say about you that you don't like.
I think people talking to people about other people they know is the most natural thing in the world and is unfairly lumped in with repeating rumor and negative conjecture about barely known acquaintances or strangers.
But why are we proud to read good fiction but ashamed of hearing and repeating things about people we know that are dramatic and interesting?
I don't mind being talked about at all. I hope the good outweighs the bad, but it's better than indifference.

Steve said...

I don't want to sidetrack Rod's great post. But Marc, the very definition of Gossip is "intentionally malicious talk meant to hurt one's reputation." I find that to be different than speaking nice things about someone. :) Have a good day.

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for tagging me! I'm very happy to pass on lessons about recovery onto others as I think keeping in touch with people in my situation is vital to my own recovery. I'm glad I joined Queer Deviations and will aim to write something new there later today. thingmebob82 x

Related Posts with Thumbnails