Thursday, February 12, 2009
update from montreal
Daily report from the CROI HIV conference in Montreal.
Wednesday February 11, 2009 (11 Fevrier, 2009)
Bon Jour. I'm almost at the point of information/ data overload, but I'm still going strong in this last stretch of the conference.
A few tidbits I thought of interest to the community .....
- A lot of focus on transmitted mutated virus between guys who don't know their status.
- A lot of material on "elite controllers" (people who are positive but don't progress, independent of the delta 32 mutation). There is a lot of research going on trying to figure out what is going on.
- Several presentations on mutations associated with raltegravir (Isentress). Some studies indicate that even when people develop primary mutations associated with the drug, they still continue to do well.
- Whenever I'm at these conferences, I'm always on the lookout for anything to do with "alternative therapies" or "complimentary therapies" as there is usually very little...... ......... .....
However, I did see a poster indicating that CoQ10 is better at preventing and/or treating neuropathy caused by d4t and ddi (both treat neuropathy from ddi). CoQ10 may also treat neuropathy from other causes. Note: this was done in vitro (in the lab), not in people.
I also saw a poster indicating that people with HIV are especially prone to deficient levels of Vitamin D, resulting in a number of health issues including inflammation, fatigue, etc. It is recommended to supplement with at least 800iu of Vitamin D per day. Most multi-vitamins already contain about 400iu, so you should buy a bottle of Vitamin D 400iu and take at least one a day (bringing you up to 800iu if you also take a multi-vitamin) . Some people may require more, but that involves an expensive blood test that may or may not be available to you.
- Another study indicated that cognitive impairment in older people continues to be an issue even when fully suppressed with HAART and good T-cell levels. There was more about cognitive impairment, but I can't remember it .... ;^)
More later ....... Michael
today's sound choice (2nd choice) is my friend the chocolate cake with "home improvements"