birds eye view

Follow ontheten on Twitter

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Welcoming Prayer



The purpose of the WELCOMING PRAYER is to assist in healing the wounds of the human condition as they emerge in the midst of daily life. It is a practice of letting go of feelings, emotions, thoughts, commentaries and body sensations, and welcoming the present moment, and all it can bring, in the here and now.

The Welcoming Prayer



Gently become aware of your body and your interior state.


Welcome, welcome, welcome.


I welcome everything that comes to me in this moment


because I know it is for my healing.


I welcome all thoughts, feelings, emotions, persons, situations and conditions.


I let go of my desire for security.


I let go of my desire for approval.


I let go of my desire for control.


I let go of my desire to change any situation, condition, person, or myself.


I open to the love and presence of God and the healing action and grace within.

today's post is especially with my 12 step sponsor (and trusted and beloved friend) in mind. he has been diagnosed with an unusual cancer and is facing surgery this friday. he has been fluctuating between acceptance and anger around this issue. i have no doubt it would be the same (or heavier) for me. he has been a longtime follower and admirer of father thomas keating. he has been to several contemplative outreach and prayer workshops and retreats in boulder over the years. he wrote to father keating a month or so ago to share his struggles with him. father keating wrote back with kindness and this same message. let go and open yourself up to the power within.... i love you paul....

here are a few more quotes around this poem and contemplative prayer:

What we are “welcoming” is the Indwelling Spirit’s Presence amongst the ALL of life

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The welcoming prayer is a practice of ‘letting go’ in the present moment in the ordinary routines of daily life.

“. . . the ordinary events of daily life become our practice . . .

The routine of daily life is the path to holiness for lay folks.

Contemplative prayer is aimed at transforming daily life with its never-ending round of ordinary activities.”

Father Thomas Keating, Open Mind, Open Heart, p. 125
 
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
The reason for paying attention to your body and your interior state is that The mind deceives.

The body never lies.

Listen to the wisdom of your body.

Hear its truth.
 
 


today's sound choice is the incredible aretha franklin with a version of "bridge over troubled waters"







Documents

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so glad that I read this post. First, I wish good healing to your friend. I also wish comfort to you as you offer him comfort.

I also thank you for posting the welcoming prayer It offered me the comfort that I needed today.

Related Posts with Thumbnails