birds eye view

Follow ontheten on Twitter

Saturday, December 22, 2007

queer spirit


image credit: kucuk iskender


not sure if you have heard of the gay men's health movement, but it's a concept that is becoming a growing interest of mine. since the gay liberation events at stonewall in 1969, our culture has grown immensely, i came out in 1974 and spent a good of that time exploring my world and tasting a bit of what the world has to offer.

as i've written, there weren't many blueprints to follow when life threw me curve balls, which is natural. but as i enter my 50's, i think it is really time to consider offering more experience and joining the tribe elders. i don't have all the answers, but i have some insights, and some young gay man or lesbian (or not for that matter) may glean some use from my challenges and battles.

and not everyone lives or wants to live in the major urban centers. that does not cease their need or desire for community. here is one example: queer spirit

there is, of course, a blog to accompany. it's not for everyone, nor is anything likely to be. but when i now think of rainbow, i honestly think of multiculturalism, including our own lgbtq culture. we are single, we are coupled, we are monogamous, we are not so. we want to nest, we want to celebrate. we want to medicate, we don't like to medicate, we have stopped medicating. we want to be visible, we do not want that. we love streisand, we think streisand is fine, we don't care for streisand.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Bab's is a nice lady, but I seem to be one of the few that don't own any of her cds or movies!

Texaco said...

I don't know. I've heard she's a bitch. Her son is awfully cute. Whatever one's opinion though, she's had an astonishing career. I think I'd have to call myself, because of my own affection for her, a Streisand Apologist.

Wayward Son said...

When I was young and newly gay, I had mentors. Flawed mentors but mentors none-the-less. I don't see that happening so much now. I suspect much of the mentorship was decimated in the beginning of the health crisis. But you were not and neither was I. So I applaud your endeavor to be a mentor. And since I don't have a strong affinity for the gay community right now, maybe I need to get in their and create one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails