birds eye view

Follow ontheten on Twitter

Friday, September 5, 2008

stir of echoes


today was a myriad of events.

i got a call from a colleague who was hosting a fairly important meeting at his office. i guess his office mate was having a foulmouthed argument on the phone with someone else at the same time. even three location changes in the office couldn't mask the vulgarity and the pervasive anger. he was non-plussed and needed to vent for over a half hour. his verbiage was unbridled and his tone was intense. i definitely had a mood shift after this.

i spoke with the office that offered me a contract today. their approval department kicked out my contract request and asked for explanation. i haven't really been counting on it completely, but i was required to take out an insurance policy in order to apply. that's money i wouldn't get back. i'm sure it will come in handy.

one of the dipthoids that worked with me at my former office was nominated to co-chair a committee that i chair today. he declined, but then is still considering. what am i supposed to learn here? that i'm not in control? i know it will all work out, but i totally felt like i had been tasered.

i started my new counseling position last night. not used to working into the evening, but it felt good. i know very well the ambivalence to change i encounter there. after reading marc's post today, i have made this addendum:

i asked the students (9 all of which were under 35) what their impression of the democratic convention was. this is in suburban denver and most of their lives were uninterrupted by the chaos, extra security, or celebrity that ensued. one person shared that he felt inspired and would be voting for the 1st time in his life. the others stated that they never vote. they don't think their vote counts. that means 8/9 persons in that room feel completely disconnected by our political process and our form of government, and take what is thrown at them.

Everybodys Talkin - The Beautiful South

3 comments:

Mark Olmsted said...

I think this points to the poverty of communication in family life in America, which is usually on the level of The Real Housewives of Orang County. My parents talked to us about the world, and encouraged us to engage, to read the paper and watch the news. Of course most young people feel disconnected--no one shows them the connections.
It does not bode well for the future. I'm starting to look forward to 12/21/12.
Thanks for the plug and I'm enjoying your invented words: "incredified" and "dipthoid." See, people notice.

Northwest said...

Your last paragraph is a sobering slap in the face, and I fear you happened upon a fairly representative slice of the very folks who could give us an Obama presidency.

Sigh. SIGH. S I G H.

Based on the peculiar chaos in my life as a result of out-of-control vigilantes who are intensely violating my privacy with impunity, I would surmise that these beasts could in time begin to strike fear into the hearts of a majority of us. Simply because of the point you made about the apathy of the young.

We are so engrossed in our trivial lives that we do not see the mounting evidence that our liberties have disappeared because we GAVE them away. And like Marc said, it's been a long time since anyone drew clear lines of connection between our personal behavior, collective vigilance on behalf of freedom, and the quality of life we can enjoy.

And it may just be too late to begin making those connections.

Anonymous said...

If I ever feel the light again
Shining down on me
I don't have to tell you
How welcome it would be
I felt the light before
But I let it slip away
And I just keep on believing
That it'll come back someday

Related Posts with Thumbnails