birds eye view

Follow ontheten on Twitter

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

waiting on the world


photo credit marc olmsted

But when the self speaks to the self, who is speaking? The entombed soul, the spirit driven in, in, in to the central catacomb; the self that took the veil and left the world -- a coward perhaps, yet somehow beautiful, as it flits with its lantern restlessly up and down the dark corridors.
Virginia Woolf


today i am going to an hiv conference regarding health disparities among various populations.

september 17th. wow. it doesn't seem so extraordinary, and maybe it's not. i just sit here in front of this screen and try to get in my head just how amazing this journey is. i never would have imagined me where i am. i thought it was already laid out last year.

at this time last year, i was working two jobs and preparing for mile high meth project to take hold. i had done the research and made recommendations, the grants were written, and we were just seeing them come in. i thought i would be doing that work for quite some time.

the world had other ideas about it though. i can't say i'm disgruntled any longer, although i know i was for a few months. i felt used and cheated and snaked. but, big deal, really. i probably was all those things. in truth, i have not been an innocent my whole life, so the fact that i was fed some of my own behaviors on a platter, albeit in sobriety, does not inspire sympathy. and the blessing is that i am not associated with those sadly insipid characters any longer. at least in my workplace.

my world is moving forward. i have a sponsee who has been a treasurer at a meeting for awhile, but has not turned in cash for a couple of months. he has also stopped answering or returning my calls. it's sad to think of him suffering. and i think that's probably what he's doing. once you get a taste of recovery, i hear that going back to insanity is not the fun it used to be at all. it's said that it ruins getting high. i believe it. i know i would be riddled with guilt and anger. suffering.

autumn always gets me looking back and looking forward. i think the banner photo tells all. that's me. waiting for the world to change. wondering how i am going to change. surmising how much i have already changed.

on a separate note, my buddy g sent me this article about white privilege by tim wise


2 comments:

Mark Olmsted said...

The quote so perfectly matches the visual.
Love when you "use" me.

Northwest said...

"in truth, i have not been an innocent my whole life, so the fact that i was fed some of my own behaviors on a platter, albeit in sobriety, does not inspire sympathy."

What a powerful sentence. Actually, one of the most honest statements I've ever read!

Through a Course in Miracles, I am starting to believe that we are half the equation in everything that occurs in our lives. This is a horrifying thought, especially for those of us in recovery who behaved quite atrociously while using.

I am the continuous object of anonymous harassment, an act that is almost unspeakable in its cruelty. And yet, in some way, somehow I know not, undoubtedly I played a role in bringing this on.

It may have been a role I have no reason to regret or lament, (i.e., me just being "me" caused others to react in homophobic hatred), but the truth remains that I am a player in the drama. And so were you in yours.

All of which can be a powerful learning experience that helps us rise above the ups and downs of life and grounds us in the realness of the now.

And in reading your blog, I see you growing in this way.

Related Posts with Thumbnails