birds eye view

Follow ontheten on Twitter

Saturday, November 1, 2008

it's not easy



I can't stand to fly
I'm not that naive
Men weren't meant to ride
With clouds between their knees

I'm only a man in a silly red sheet
Digging for kryptonite on this one way street
Only a man in a funny red sheet
Looking for special things inside of me
Inside of me
Inside me
Yeah, inside me
Inside of me


sometimes i get the idea that i think that i won't have to do quite a lot of work to help get this country back into a position that is palatable. i wonder if i think that someone is going to do my share for me. i wonder if i am thinking the kansas superhero candidate is somehow going to save me from a fate worse than death. actually i know i think this sometimes.

but reality bites. bites butt. in reality, i am aware that our nation has been so paralyzed by the bold and audacious moves that our short sighted leaders have taken, that we have forgotten how to be interactive and we have not wanted to deal with anything that might present itself as challenging. we have wanted everything easy, and our leaders have dismantled systems and broken off liberties and eagerly created an environment to deaden our abilities to be free thinkers. some of the hardest work for americans in the coming years may be remembering that we have a stake in all this which requires more than just phoning in or texting our opinions, and we have responsibility for what happens next. and then trying to agree on what direction things should move and how best to make that happen goes hand in hand.

more than anything, i am hoping this election (and hopefully change of leadership) will bring about a return to integrity, personal accountability, and the idea that we are all working in the same direction and we can count on each other. we look out for each other and depend on each other, whether we have or have not.

today's song choice: superman remix by five for fighting


Documents

3 comments:

absolutwillie said...

i'm hoping for the same - along with the rest of the world learning the same lesson.

it starts with one ;0)

Unknown said...

I do indeed love the picture. I also love your words. I think that Obama's message has always been about personal responsibility. Here's to better times.

I also love this song; this is the first time that I've heard the dance remix version but I like it. I fell in love with the song the first time that I heard it. Even Superman gets weary.

Mark Olmsted said...

I have to say, I'm not crazy about your use of the words "bold and audacious" to describe anything done by the present regime. "Rash and unwarranted" would be the words that come more to mind.
And I think we should declare Obama as the man from Chicago, as it's that's a city worthy of his amazing strength and stamina. I don't even think I've seen with a cold in 2 years of campaigning.

Related Posts with Thumbnails