birds eye view

Follow ontheten on Twitter

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

get honor and stay honor



Love Reign O'er me

On the dry and dusty road
The nights we spend apart alone
I need to get back home to cool cool rain
I can't sleep and I lay and I think
The night is hot and black as ink
Oh God, I need a drink of cool cool rain


i watched the kennedy center honors last evening and was mildly entertained. there were some good renditions of classic songs as well as non-musical honorees that were remarkable as well.

for me though, the most memorable were the who, and of course barbra streisand. when i was a wee lad (early teens actually) the who really were the end all be all band. they had already had "who's next" out for awhile and were out on the "quadrophenia" tour. "tommy" came along soon thereafter and i moved onto to disco and out of the closet, but i still held the battlecry of "we're all wasted" close to my chest for years to come. and pete townsend was one of the 1st visible "punks" smashing his guitar at shows to display contempt and frustration.

and probably now out of the closet (1976) and back into the arms of streisand. she was really before my time then, as i hadn't really connected to broadway music. but as she transitioned into movies and culture out of nyc, i became acquainted with her. i remember she had a silly song on a 70's album that had a lyric "rub it on my belly like guava jelly" and i thought to myself, " i like her". she then also had many attempts at connecting with r&b and disco- some good, some less memorable. but she didn't stay stuck. and the music from "a star is born" astounded me. and i still love it today.

but the real reason these mentions of last night are so memorable are the renditions done for them. bettye lavette doing love reign over me. it's in the center of this complilation, and it was for me the heart of the matter last night. that performance was worth the 2 hours viewing. stellar.



i look forward to tomorrow, and i am sad to say so long to today. thank goodness i have music to help get me through.

happy new year.


Documents

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails