birds eye view

Follow ontheten on Twitter

Monday, September 1, 2008

be kind rewind




PTSD, phobias and trauma are NOT life long conditions, and can be treated quickly and easily with the rewind technique, a non voyeuristic and fast method of detraumatising both individual and extended traumatic events.
watch video here


my experience with ptsd could be best described as terror in rewind. there is a return to those feelings that happened when the initial trauma occurred. what used to go on was that i would be triggered somehow and start to medicate so i didn't have to relive that drama. it's very typical but it also stunted my emotional growth. maybe what needs to happen is that with rewind comes a chance to play it again with a healthier outcome.

on the flight back from dc on friday, united was showing "be kind rewind" with jack black and mos def. i laughed my ass off. i'm sure i was disturbing people on the plane, but i couldn't help myself. it is silly shit. very slapstick and very basic humor. simple and funny.

two things struck me.

one- mia farrow was in the film, and it's vintage feel reminded me of many allen films. i just wondered how much influence she had in this production and accordingly, how much she might have added to the allen genre she was part of. perhaps none at all.

two- i believe we all are just remaking an older classic. most of the drama in our lives is really a remake. almost all of it has been done before. we try to make it fresh, but really- everything old is new again. i know i am trying to make my life as original as possible, but as i age i realize the unlikelihood of that, and become more satisfied with authenticity. and maybe recovery is rewind. maybe not. either way i need to be kind.

4 comments:

Parker Dreams said...

Thanks for the link. I have linked you in our blogroll. Keep up the good work.

Mark Olmsted said...

I would definitively describe recovery as simply "play" - in the forward direction.
What is so therapeutic about meetings is in putting our stories to good use, but giving others an opportunity to say: "Yes, I did that too" that we redeem them. If you are not feeling relief from your PTSD, I think you need to tell the specifics of what caused it more, in a forum where others can identify.

Anonymous said...

As far as PTSD, I'm more about the here and now. Reliving or rewinding has not worked so hot for me. My therapist doesn't even 'go there' anymore. Everyone's different though. Or maybe you're observation is spot on, but you're in a different place than I am? :)

Anonymous said...

You have given me much to think about. I have tended to avoid rewinding the things in my life that nearly destroyed me. Perhaps it's time that I opened myself to looking at them clearly.

Related Posts with Thumbnails