birds eye view

Follow ontheten on Twitter

Thursday, September 11, 2008

i want it that way



it's been quite a few days that i have been in a bit of a funk. so much to process and so much to let go. i still find myself overwhelmed some days. i hear people speak of peace and serenity and i wonder if it is something i will ever truly know.

if anyone reads my blog with some regularity, you'll probably know that i push myself pretty hard and spend a good deal of my time doing service work. it's challenging often for a couple of reasons. there is not always success involved in doing service work. at times this can truly be taxing. it's very easy to become invested in an outcome, which defeats the purpose of service. then there are times when other challenges of service, environmental, tactical, implementation, and resistance can be like kissing a cactus- pretty prickly.

but i must say, that every day, with all these barriers, is still better than the insane stuck-in-a-loop, "i need another hit" life that i had lived for 30 years or so. i recommend service work. i can't think how i survived before it embraced me. i hope i can do it for the rest of my life.

today i have a meeting with the mayor's office of hiv resources. there are two topics on the agenda.

1) explore the possibility of hosting a conference to update the denver principles after 25 years.

2) explore the advancement of peer education among hiv positives with the intention of empowerment, recruitment of poz persons to work with hiv issues, and generate stronger self-efficay with regard to personal healthcare. after all knowledge is power.

obviously today is the 7th anniversary of 9/11. that day and those events heralded in huge change in my world, and probably in all our worlds. i am taking a moment to remember those that passed on, and also those that were left behind. and i ask: have we moved in a good direction? are we doing the best we can as a nation and as a family of americans to mend what attracted that situation to us in the 1st place?

i saw this vid last year when i first discovered these boys. they make me laugh from my heart. i guess they remind myself of my friends when we were in our early teens. i think they are definitely some of the biggest queens of you tube, and i mean that in a beautiful way. they are mimics, they are obnoxious, and they definitely make me smile big time.


2 comments:

Mark Olmsted said...

What do you mean, they're mimics! I think they're really singing!
I want to adopt them.

Anonymous said...

Too late Marc, I already turned in the adoption papers :P

Related Posts with Thumbnails