birds eye view

Follow ontheten on Twitter

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

fashion




photocredit- towleroad

There's a brand new dance
But I don't know it's name
That people from bad homes
Do again and again
It's big and it's bland
Full of tension and fear
They do it over there but we don't do it here
david bowie


Fashion - David Bowie

Mark Jacobs just closed his show at fashion week NY wearing this skirt pictured above. i saw the pic on towleroad and got a big smile on my face.

there was something very liberating about wearing a skirt. something that felt radical and rule-breaking, without really being over the top. i could be a non-conformist without dying my hair black or piercing or tattooing my body in order to make a statement. i loved wearing them. i have done so on and off (ha) throughout the years. not the kilt thing, but actual skirts, kick pleats, a-line, catholic school girl, even a housedress or a sundress now and then.

now it never got me laid, but i never relied on my couture for an introduction, either. but it did liberate me and empower me in some odd fashion. i think it takes a certain kind of guy to wear skirts. not just wearing one skirt for that single occasion. or wearing that one skirt to special occasions for one, two, or three seasons. i mean who has a few skirts and populates their regular attire with them.
and i actually think that might be my kinda man.

marc is gonna laugh, because this is definitely an 80's topic for me. that is when i developed this part of my style, and that is when i implemented it. i remember standing at the top of the stairs that were the entrance of medusa's in a calf-length plaid skirt and doc martins, being called a faggot by some off duty navy men from great lakes. the skinhead bouncers immediately informed the loudmouths that if they wanted to come into the club, it would be necessary to apologize for calling names. i think it was the first time they were called on their behaviors. they actually apologized, with the help of the others standing in line, and we let them in. that scenario happened repeatedly at that club, both at the door and on the dance floor, and was the premier reason i loved working there. it was social change as well as a job, and a hella lotta fun. and i did much of it wearing skirts.



what are your thoughts on men in skirts?

psst- i think i might be entering a david bowie retro period. i have found myself listening to quite a bit of his music over the last few weeks. his songs may pop up now and again.

3 comments:

Java said...

Well I personally prefer skirts and/or comfortable cotton dresses to restrictive jeans and such. So I can totally sympathize with your position. As for men in skirts, it's fine by me. My grandpapa wore a skirt as oft as he could manage it. He called it a kilt, bought it in Scotland, and it was a wool tartan. That was the acceptable skirt of his day. Today? Whatever floats your boat.

Anonymous said...

I just don't get the kilt thing!

Mark Olmsted said...

I think a man in a skirt says: "Judge me so I can show you how much I don't care what you think" which, of course, is a contradiction in terms, because you are trying to get a reaction.
I danced, but never went out to dance. I tried to look good, but dressed way more for fetish than fashion. I wanted to offer what attracted me, which is at least the illusion of masculinity, because I was out for sex, always. For me, skirts undercut that sexual tension.
I like androgyny in the head, but not on the body, or out of the mouth, unless it's Katherine Hepburn.

Related Posts with Thumbnails