birds eye view

Follow ontheten on Twitter

Monday, November 17, 2008

step 2



"In the preceding chapters you have learned something of alcoholism. We hope we have made clear the distinction between the alcoholic and the non-alcoholic. If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic. If that be the case, you may be suffering from an illness which only a spiritual experience will conquer." Let me repeat that last part: "If that be the case, you may be suffering from an illness which ONLY a spiritual experience will conquer." ...from barefootsworld.net


step 2 reads "came to believe a power greater than ourselves can restore us to sanity." many in the rooms use the saying, "i came, i came to, i came to believe". this has become a truth for me that is necessary to keep returning to. i am not sane on many occasions and in many ways. i can't even really be sure what sanity is.

but i do know that i have learned to let go in situations rather than obsess. and obsess i would if i am not aware. it's unhealthy for me to try to replay life over and over in my head. trusting that i will see what perhaps i don't see now, is the path of least resistance and the path of sanity for me these days.

somedays, the only defense i have is surrender. and most times, that is what keeps me sane.

sound choice today is an old 80's fave... wood beez by scritti politti. "next time i go to bed, i pray like aretha franklin...


Documents

3 comments:

Mark Olmsted said...

"i came, i came to, i came to believe"
I have never heard that. I love it.

Unknown said...

You have put into words quite succinctly what I have been fumbling to understand most of my life, "somedays, the only defense is surrender." Learning to let go, to not obsess has always been a challenge for me, but I'm learning.

Unknown said...

This is a separate comment of a slightly different nature.

I received a blogging award from a blogger named Indigo (as did Marc) and I had to pick 7 people that I thought worthy of the award. So, I picked you as one of my 7 because I think that you are a good writer and I enjoy reading your blog. Of course now I've obligated you to pick 7 people but I know that you will forgive me for that. Of course, you could choose to join Marc the curmudgeon and not select anyone and that's okay too. Stop by my journal to understand what I'm babbling about.

Related Posts with Thumbnails