birds eye view

Follow ontheten on Twitter

Thursday, January 14, 2010

freedom in surrender

                                                                   
Lost and insecure
You found me, you found me
Lyin' on the floor
Surrounded, surrounded
Why'd you have to wait?
Where were you? Where were you?
Just a little late
You found me, you found me
 
sometimes, my head get so bogged down in details and drama that i forget to go back to the basics. now and again, i begin to get disheartened because i am not able to help some people. they are too sick or beyond my abilities. this usually is the time for me to start working "harder" than the client and to second guess myself every step of the way. but that is not helpful either. typically, i know this is not helpful, but find myself doing it anyway. it only dilutes my abilities and my senses. my supervisor once told me that sometimes it needs to be enough that we are just present. that we listen and that we are there. learning humilitiy on a deeper level is "right-sizing" for certain. i can help someone without solving their problems. it's a simple concept that i have a tendency to forget. just as simple as i can have problems and still be okay, too. this is life on life's terms in my eyes. none of us get of scot-free.

The key to Step 6 is acceptance -- accepting character defects exactly as they are and the willingness to let them go.


Step 6


Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.


After identifying shortcomings and admitting to them by working Step 4 and 5, the next step forces members of 12-step recovery groups to ask themselves if they are really willing to give up some of those faults. After all, some of them have been around so long, they are like old friends. They have been comfortable.


But if the previous steps have been done thoroughly and honestly, many times facing the truth can bring a measure of guilt, which is a great motivation to become "entirely ready" to have those shortcomings removed. As with all the steps, the ability to become ready comes from a higher power, a power greater than yourself.... from 12 step study


today's sound choice is an acoustic version of colorado's own "the fray". here is "you found me"




Share

Documents

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails