birds eye view

Follow ontheten on Twitter

Friday, February 15, 2008

wish you were here



i am taking a class on grief and loss for work. really though, it is for me, too. there is so much of a connection between substance use/abuse and grief. difficulty in dealing with life on life's terms is a main reason people start using. there is so much more trauma and loss that is piled on a person when they are in the throes of addiction. it is so common for people to lose much of their innocence, to be accosted, sexually abused, cheated, robbed, beaten, preyed upon when they are under the influence of a substance. it almost goes with the lifestyle. this all happens on top of whatever led them into substance use initially, and the loss and sadness that accompanies addiction just keep layering itself upon itself.

it is a good class. it is an important topic. it is a difficult topic. i know, when i talk with someone about their grief and the circumstances around it, it is natural for me to bring my own experiences of such to mind. this is the difficult part in working with others. this is why al-anon is so helpful to me.

and then when someone stops using they experience a whole different loss. the loss of their major coping skill. and the loss of their primary relationship. this is one of the most challenging aspects to change. the loss and the grief surrounding that. suddenly it seems one is standing all alone to face the world. this is why it has helped me in my journey to acknowledge and grow my spiritual side. it really helps to prevent me from feeling alone.

1 comment:

Java said...

This is a great post. It helps me understand what a person goes through when he/she attempts to let go of an addiction. For that matter it helps clarify why one starts using to begin with. I can see symptoms of that in my life. I could use a shot of better coping skills! I'm learning some of that in therapy.
Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails