birds eye view

Follow ontheten on Twitter

Sunday, December 13, 2009

life in parties



“Put yourself in a state of mind where you say to yourself, "Here is an opportunity for you to celebrate like never before, my own power, my own ability to get myself to do whatever is necessary.” .... Anthony Robbins

december is the season of parties and celebrations. people get out of their cocoons to swap food, trade stories, and shake off the winter pre-winter blues. it is no different for me, other than i work most of these parties instead of attending them these days.  i have been to 5 parties in the last (3) 24 hour periods. i have been with the wealthy and the impoverished, the sober and the sotted (and defnitely inbetween.) i much prefer this new lifestyle to my other incarnation. the parting gift is so much sweeter and gentler.

as you may or may not know, i have been working as a catering assistant for several years. the money is good and i get to participate in events that i normally would not be included on the guest list. last night i worked at the home of an international art dealer who calls denver his home.this particular homeowner has an incredible collection of oils, sculpture, and furniture. i feel spent having looked with longing and amazement upon painting after painting lining the walls of that 3 story mansion. mostly modern and contemporary, these colored canvasses create a collage of intention that perhaps needs to be shaken, not stirre, it was that intoxicating.

the structure, the mechanics, and the soul of parties has transitioned for me. i am not in the user-friendly period of my party life. i have become a worker bee and much less a voyeur. this suits me greatly in a couple of areas. i still participate in the art of and the spiritual necessity of celebrations. i just don't have the same "end of days" feeling that parties used to ship in. this is a glorious change.

i think that celebrations, parties, and revelry are akin to a healthy spiritual composition for me. logistically and socially, i am not at ease in these situations by normal standards. i never championed or mastered the art of small talk very well, and that is a crucial ingredient . so i keep busy and somehow it works. i like parties. i like them a lot. i need them in my life. i just don't live for them any longer.

Makin’ my connection as I enter the room

Everybody’s chillin’ as I set up the groove

Pumpin’ up the volume with this brand new beat

Everybody’s dancin’, and their dancin’ for me

I’m your operator, you can call anytime

I’ll be your connection to the party line
today's sound choice is the stellar dame shirley bassey with a remake of "get this party started"




Share


Documents

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can see how the catering gig would be exciting. Perhaps it's why you're so good at Cafe World. :) Glad that you've found the joy in parties. I like the way that you put it--liking parties but not living for them any longer.

I never mastered the art of small talk either. I can make a speech to a crowd of hundreds of people but I sit in the corner quietly at social events. I'm most comfortable when the host needs help in the kitchen.

Love Shirley Bassey, great selection.

Related Posts with Thumbnails