birds eye view

Follow ontheten on Twitter

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

strength over speed



seattle counseling has added a new dimension to their fight with the relationship between crystal, gay men, and hiv. see crystal neon. the newest defense is a peer-based effort launched to locally challenge the agreement field that exists (as it does in almost every other large city) that it is okay to use crystal and that it doesn't hurt anybody but its users and that it's somebody else's problem.

i applaud this effort. absolutely love it. there was a time when the gay rights movement and community had to create change for themselves if they wanted change. now, it seems so many expect someone else to do the work. but this seattle effort brings back the idea that we are the captains of our own destiny. i buy into this, hook, line, and sinker.


i love the "have you quit" section. gay men who have already stopped have so much to offer in this regard. just like hiv poz guys have so much to offer new positive men. i never see enough of that.

anyway here is seattle's newest addition to both their local and our national efforts to corral the meth-y business that is pummelling gay men across the globe. strength over speed

1 comment:

Wayward Son said...

This is the most comprehensive site I have seen addressing the issue of meth in the gay culture. I read the staying Off Crystal PDF and, if nothing else, found bits of my experience and a loose measure of where i am in the spectrum. I say loose because we are all different and recovery experiences have many similarities and differences for each of us at varying stages. Part of me wishes I didn't need to know where i fell in the "norm", a very antagonistic word for me. But another part of me feels relief at have some sort of gage to understand where I am. It allows me to quit asking that question and move on. And I know that even if where I am is outside that norm, it is exactly where I should be.

Thanks for the share of this resource.

WS

Related Posts with Thumbnails