birds eye view

Follow ontheten on Twitter

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

she will be loved


image credit: sabine pigalle



"Love is patient, love is kind, and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."


one of the things i love in my life is music. it has always been a transponder for me. i have always been able to be lifted from wherever i am to a different place and for me that is a blessing. many times i have found myself in situations that are worse than horrifying. and music has always been there to take me away. safely and with lightspeed i have been lifted. it helps me laugh, it helps me cry, it soothes my nerves, it perks me up.


growing up in a small town as a gay boy was challenging for me. i had endured some personal traumas and through music i discovered a way to feel less different and less of a freak amid my peers. my relationship with music has continued to be a blessing over the years. i hope i can always have it in my life. i remember dancing, or tumbling more like, it under the stars during the summers while i was in grade school. i know that i heard music in my head and i know that the music helped me dance and feel as if i was somewhere else. funny thing- when i read the biography of isadora duncan i found out she used to do the very same thing. i guess i love dancing, too.

Music affects mood and emotion more than any other medium, and has the power to change the way we view the world.


what do you love?

and why?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you; music - it's the absolute gold. To be completely immersed in a great piece of music, to be so totally and cleanly transported, there's nothing better I reckon.
Why? Because I think it's pure emotion. It makes me feel - joy, melancholy, energised, whatever - direct and unmediated by the talk in my head. It can comfort, add to any experience without a cost to the soul and it can make me dance. Music is better than any drug I've ever experienced.

Mark Olmsted said...

Of course I love music--who doesn't? (Name one person). But as far as the artform that stimulates me in that special deep place --there's nothing like really good writing to hit me between the eyes. In fact, if I was stranded on a desert island with only music or books to keep my company, I would choose books, no question about it. Pretty sure you'd choose music--thoughit's an interesting question where lyrics lie in the dichotomy...How essential are lyrics to your appreciation of music?

Anonymous said...

Music is and has always been everything to me. It grounds me, and was my first artistic outlet. Hey, thanks for sharing the video. I love that song, and have been crushing on Levine for years!

Related Posts with Thumbnails