birds eye view

Follow ontheten on Twitter

Saturday, January 12, 2008

you don't own me


image credit: luc olivier

there is a comment on a 12step site about my blog which really irritates me. i have worked at letting it go, but as of this day, i find myself immersed in wanting to be liked. it's a waste of energy and narcissistic. but here i am anyway, wagging my tail and hoping that you'll give me some reassurance.

"What other people think of me is none of my business." comes to mind. as does... relieve me of the bondage of self....(both are fitting)

however 2 things will have to suffice today though-

1) here is a post from july of last year that i ran across today. i had completely forgotten about it. dance hall days

2)but i'll go with dusty today...although i think leslie said it first...

you don't own me, i'm not just one of your many toys
you don't own me, don't say i can't go with other boys
and don't tell me what to do
and don't tell me what to say
and please, when i go out with you
don't put me on display, 'cause
you don't own me, don't try to change me in any way
you don't own me, don't tie me down 'cause i'd never stay
oh, i don't tell you what to say
i don't tell you what to do
so just let me be myself
that's all i ask of you
i'm young and i love to be young
i'm free and i love to be free
to life my life the way i want
to say and do whatever i please
instrumental interlude
a-a-a-nd don't tell me what to do
oh-h-h-h don't tell me what to say
and please, when i go out with you
don't put me on display
i don't tell you what to say
oh-h-h-h don't tell you what to do
so just let me be myself
that's all i ask of you
i'm young and i love to be young
fade
i'm free and i love to be free
to life my life the way i want



6 comments:

Java said...

I looked at the site. I had to click the link to get to the comments, where I saw the offense. Whoever wrote that is full of shit. Sounds like it is based on some fool's homophobia. The only thing I'd say you, and by extension this blog, are obsessed with is music.
I read a lot of blogs by a lot of gay men. That comment doesn't apply to this site. It might apply to a few others, but it doesn't fit here. Let it go, brother.

Mark Olmsted said...

BFD. You are very pre-occupied with your identity as a "gay warrior" and gay history in general. What hurts is this ONE commenter's minimizing language: "just another..." And my dear, you're not "just" anything. You're one of the few blogs I read everyday, and you never say anything mean about anyone--unlike the snippy little queen judging you. FUCK HIM.
And thanks for reminding why I don't sign up to be on those those megablog lists.

Mark Olmsted said...

Plus, HELLO, you're 13 out of 100!
Pretty Damn Good.

Anonymous said...

It is annoying when other bloggers take stabs. I didn't click on the link as I won't sponsor trollish behavior. But believe me I completely understand! What you think of me is none of my business, is the perfect thing to say to yourself.

Wayward Son said...

I know this is not an easy thing to actualize and, really, something you already know and express through your blog in many ways—I am just reiterating it in a doctor-heal-thyself-kind-of-way. This person's need to say such a thing in a public forum is a call for love and his compulsion to judge a serious flaw for him, not you. So let's all send a little love his way and hope he feels better soon.

Barb@TimeIsShort said...

I've not read the comment, nor do I need to. You'll find we are naked and exposed, sometimes, here in the blogosphere and beyond. It's just that some of us are self conscious, some aren't but we basically all have similar equipment, no better, no worse. It is of course bothersome, when someone feels the need to show you how naked you really are.
Never let 'em see you sweat, never sweat the small shit and it's all small shit.
I've been attacked before, as a matter of fact by a site called Trainwrecks. People in my defense and others, put them out of business.

See good will always prosper over evil. So, remember, Let Go & Let God. If you can't do that, have some patience, as
Mz. Karma Bitchslap, a very good personal friend of mine (I met her in prison)will pay them a visit. Just watch. Kizzez,

Related Posts with Thumbnails