birds eye view

Follow ontheten on Twitter

Thursday, June 12, 2008

pride inside



kelly has asked that this flag be posted on sites to "spread the rainbow", and i've opted to follow suit. there is to be an accompanying "coming out" story or a story about why you don't. so i have 2 entries- 1 my own and other from a blogami... please consider this an open meme, and use it to affirm the struggles that our predecessors have endured and to catalog and validate our own. pride is about celebration, not so much partying, but more about endurance and coming through the dark. coming out as it were by shaking loose the shame and finding pride inside.

it's funny, but i have been out since 1974 and have almost forgotten there was even a process, as it seemed so natural to me. by the time that queer nation was a fresh idea, i had been out over a decade and grabbed that idea's momentum and swung through the next few years of life on that. i remember chanting "we're here, we're queer, we're not going shopping" from tho loins of the gay pride parade during the early nineties.

but there was an issue that i really did struggle with during that time which was my hiv status. i knew inside that i was positive, but it was very difficult for me to discuss it with anyone. i wasn't clear how i felt myself, so i couldn't handle anyone elses feelings about it. i chose mostly not to talk about it. if i met potential sex partners, i told myself that they were adults and could be counted on to take care of themselves. if they wanted to know, it was their responsibility to ask. (a true statement, but certainly not how i feel today). anyway, i went through a few years of acknowledging coming out day by coming out about my status. it was challenging sometimes. it was no big deal sometimes-to others- but it was always a big deal for me. i'm glad i've come to terms with what i have and who i am. it has lessened the load i carry. i know there are men who still struggle with the same issues i did, and my heart goes out to them. something i can say to them is: denial seems very convenient and a blessing, but in the end, it is mostly the opposite: a curse and a big pain in the ass. the light goes on eventually and we have to look into our own corners and under our bed.

the second entry for this post is actually a redirect to stephen todd's "prison's a bitch". his recent "queer in here" post really resonated with me, and the image of him in his cell with a towel over his window, 80's music playing while he dances with himself, longing for a different sense of community, stays with me. i urge you to read it and remember it's in two parts.....read stephen todd here
2nd part here

VIVA LES QUEERS! What I believe, having made it through all these years, surviving all we have, heralding all the change we have generated, is that INDEED, WE ALL SHOULD BE DANCING.

4 comments:

Mark Olmsted said...

Thank you so much for promoting Steven's entry. He called yesterday and I told him again how good the piece was and that you'd been talking it up. He really appreciates it. Cowzilla - Parts I and mostly II are also very gay-affirming, in it he educates a prison guard--some of the most backward of the backward.
I like what you said about the light going out under the bed. HIV is indeed, the new gay, as far as coming out issues.

Joe Cornish said...

I agree with Marc that coming out about being POZ is the same as the old coming out issue for gays (and even the current coming out issue for all too many).

I also believe that we POZ people have much to share with and offer each other. There is a whole POZ community that is undeveloped because too many of us are buying into the stigma that goes with the virus.

Granted, I'm in California, but I came out as gay immediately at the high school I taught in for 30 years and I came out as POZ in 1984 (I retired two years ago), I never had a hassle from anyone, only support. So many times people are so much better that we give them credit for.

Congratulations on your recovery!

Joe

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting the picture and telling your story... coming out is different for everyong and you just proved that... we all have different stages of coming out... thanks again and best wishes on your adventure through life... thanks

Java said...

I'd like to post this flag on my blog, too. I'm not sure what kind of story to tell, though.

Haven't read Prison's a Bitch in a while, but I really admire Stephen's stand. He's got a rough row to hoe.

Related Posts with Thumbnails